Over the past decade, there has been a drastic shift toward heavy duty material handling storage in British Columbia. Heavier product loads landing from overseas, engineering and seismic requirements, an increasing emphasis on workplace safety and the introduction of WorksafeBC inspections have all contributed to the trend. When it comes to designing a pallet rack system, users must choose between structural or roll formed pallet racking. Structural steel pallet racking is the most durable product on the market and engineers better than roll formed, making it the superior choice for taller/heavier racking projects. The frame columns and beams are manufactured out of channel steel using a bolted connection which allows for the highest level of capacity and versatility.
Benefits of structural steel pallet rack
- Strength: Using structural steel (instead of roll-formed) in the manufacturing process creates a tougher product. Structural steel is heavier with stronger channel corners and thicker gauge metal columns. Because of this, the finished product holds up to higher abuse.
- Safety: Employee safety is a top priority and ensuring rack is up to par for seismic capacity and weight drives the discussion towards a structural rack design. Even in the case of impact, damaged structural steel sections can retain up to 90% capacity.
- Rigidity: Fully bolted connections on structural rack yield a stronger and more rigid system than roll-formed steel.
- Durability: Structural rack is manufactured to more precise specifications for longer lasting performance and is designed to withstand high-use applications such as heavy loads, quick turnover and harsh conditions.
- Versatility: Offers a wide range of sizes, designs and load capacities. Common configurations include selective, drive-in, push back and pallet flow applications.
- Food and beverage distribution
- Freezer and ambient temperatures
- Record and archive storage
- Warehouse and distribution centres
- Retail storage
Another variation of structural pallet racking is very narrow aisle (VNA). VNA pallet racking makes use of floor area and roof height to provide high-density storage with 100% accessibility and improved stock rotation. This pallet racking system is placed very close together and utilizes a side-loading forklift for loading and unloading. This enables aisles to be extremely narrow, ensuring space is used efficiently. With VNA, rotation and access to product—in addition to the amount of product stored in the warehouse—is maximized.
Contact one of our experienced pallet racking reps for a free consultation.
Steelhead Warehouse Solutions Inc. is a value-added distributor of Frazier Industrial Company.